Friday, October 22, 2010

The roles of ICT in classroom

Eight years ago, when I finished my secondary school's years, my parents gave me the complete freedom of choice in the selection of university specialization. And, because I was very interest in computers and the new technologies appeared that time, I choose the Computer engineering major. I was very interest in computer and other new technologies because I was thinking that IT is the future and I have to belong to this future and be one of its developing members. Then, I worked hard and got the bachelor's degree and worked as a teacher after few months from the graduating. From this step of my life, I can develop the future and be part of it by developing myself in teaching and IT then developing my student's computing skills.  

Now a day, computers and other technologies are playing major roles in teaching and educations, this is because we are in the 21st century and every thing around us is changing very fast and we have to build students whose can follow this changing without any basic challenges. Also, we have to help them to implement their personalities and knowledge depends on the meaning of the globalization and its effects on our life.  To help these students, as a teacher, I have to use new strategies and technologies to teach them, I have to use student-centered learning ( SCL ), group work, projects and many other strategies. Also, I have to use the ICT in teaching and this is the important thing which I will take about in a while. In addition, this use of ICT will help me and my students to achieve the new style of learning which is help us to access the global information by Internet, learning in a collaborative environment, communicate with each other by using new technologies and exchange the authentic experiences.

The computer inside my classroom is playing three major roles; I used it as a tutor, tool and tutee. As a tutor, when I provide for them online educational software to educate and play, and when I give them tutorials software to present some subjects material, to solve different related questions and response and then the computer "tutor" evaluate these responses. From the result the students can determine their levels and what to do next. But, using it as a tool is the most use of it inside the classroom; I used it in preparing and presenting the teaching presentations by using Microsoft office applications. The students are using it as a tool also by using the same applications as me to work in their projects. We used it also, as a mind tool, especially when we communicate with each other through the Facebook, twitter and other celebration networks. In addition, only me_ the teacher_ is using the computer as a tutee. I was using it to create different tutorials to my students using the different programming languages same as Java.

Finally, I think I have to increase my using of the computer inside the classroom and let it play its three roles in different ways. I promise to work hard for that.

Refrences:
Taylor, R. P. (1980). Introduction. In R. P. Taylor (Ed.), The computer in school: Tutor, tool, tutee (pp. 1-10). New York: Teachers College Press.
Reprinted by permission of the publisher from Taylor, R., Ed., The Computer in School: Tutor, Tool, Tutee, (New York: Teachers College Press, © 1980 by Teachers College, Columbia University. All rights reserved.), pp. 1-10. To order copies, please contact www.teacherscollegepress.com. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment